The Beckley Art Center is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Our two-fold mission is to stimulate interest in the arts within the community and encourage development of artistic talent within the group and the community.
In order to realize our mission, we will foster arts and culture and cultivate a creative community. This vision led us to develop our programming around three themes:
Share. Providing artists with the opportunity to share their art throughout the community.
Learn. Offering workshops and classes to enhance and expand artist’s creative skills and talents.
Explore. Introducing activities where people can meet to explore new artistic and creative adventures.
Key Accomplishments in 2018
- Awarded grants from the WV Nonprofit Association, Best Buy Foundation, WalMart Foundation, the Carter Foundation, & the Beckley Area Foundation.
- Provided year round educational opportunities in the arts for adults & youth
- Increased the number & diversity of exhibits for members and guests
- Held successful fundraising events
- Received regional publicity for the very popular community Yarn Bombing Project
- Purchased folding tables which helps with special events & increased rentals of the facility
- Hosted Poet’s Cafe throughout the year
- Offered regularly scheduled & private painting parties for adults & youth
- Pop-up art exhibitions, called “Unexpected Art”, are located throughout the community: Old Colony Realty, WV Convention Center and the Raleigh County Judicial Annex
- Partnered with Innovative Insurance Solutions for a Veteran’s Exhibition
- Became a member of the WV Nonprofit Association & Leave A Legacy of Central Appalachia
- Planned and fulfilled second annual Holiday Market over a span of several weeks, open 6 days a week with the assistance of 54 volunteers working over 848 hours
- Increased our trained volunteer base
- Held three 8 week series of children’s art classes, The Red Balloon Series
Goals For The Upcoming Year
- Increase grant application submissions & fundraising initiatives
- Foster arts and culture in our community by taking part in state wide events and offering numerous community events
- Grow our participation in Unexpected Art at local venues & community events
- Share the workshop space at the Beckley Art Center with special interest groups
- Promote community based art and beautification projects in collaboration with the City of Beckley
- Increase number of children’s classes and workshops
Board of Directors
Dee Dee Ellison, President
Robert Dunlap, Vice President & Major Development Chair
Mary Calvert, Treasurer
Robin Stewart, Secretary
Linda Treadway, Support Member
Debbie Lester, Facilities Chair
Carmen File, Membership Chairman
Christine Kinder, Exhibits Committee Co-Chair
Robby Moore, Exhibits Committee Co-Chair